Thursday, May 3, 2012

on my mind

last week i spent
thursday, friday, and saturday at the rodeo
(dirt, animals, pollen)
and saturday morning
at an outdoor service project 
(dirt, pollen).
this had my allergies in a frenzy.
i took allergy medicine to try and 
control it a little.
the allergy medicine 
kept me up most of
friday and saturday night.
no me gusta!

*****

the service project on saturday
was at a river location where my mother
used to guild field trips when she worked for
the department of fish and game.
after we sanded and painted tables in the picnic area
we took off down a trail and picked up garbage.
my mom was telling me all these interesting facts
about indigenous indians 
and pointing out indigenous and invasive plant species.
then she bent over and picked a leaf from a
ground-cover type of plant
(miners lettuce)
and said, "eat this"
and i did.
right off the ground.
no washing of hands or food.
it makes me laugh because it's so
indicative of who we are as a family.

*****

as i was getting ready for church sunday
i realized i had a test the next day
and i hadn't read any of the material.
(you know that moment.)
so i had to add studying
to my already busy sunday schedule.
went to church
made baby shower invitations
(they were already pushing being late
and couldn't wait another day)
had guests for dinner
went to a stake meeting
then came home and 
reviewed and studied 130 pages of material.
i finally got to bed around 3:00 a.m.

*****

i downloaded a 
running training program on my phone.
it has several different programs.
1 mile
5k
10 k
half marathon
full marathon
the training period is different for each program
(1 mile is 4 weeks while a marathon is 16 weeks).
i'm working on a mile . . . 
you alternate between walking and running 
for given amounts of time
increasing each week . . .
you get the idea.
but it's amazing because you go into the program
pick a playlist from your music library
and they just chime in over your music
"run now"
"walk now"
it's great! i don't have to watch a clock
or track my distance . . .
exactly what i was looking for.

*****

my dad pulled me into his office the other day.
he wanted to get my opinion about a case
that's going to trial in a few weeks.
he and his co-counsel were debating on 
whether to use a witness with a questionable history.
he said he wanted my opinion because,
as he puts it,
i am the second worst possible juror he can imagine.

it's nice to be useful.

*****

my mother took off for puerto rico.
she's spending a week there
and then she's packing up my sister and nieces
and bringing them back to fresno for the summer.
(it's difficult to image a situation where spending a summer
in fresno is the better option,  based on temperature!)
i cannot wait for my nieces to get here!
and heidi too, i guess ; )

0 comments: