Thursday, December 24, 2009

what to do when the beastly boys shatter your grandmothers china teapot while bashing around in the garage . . .

i mentioned that my sister and i made ornaments out of my grandmas china teapot the boys broke over the summer . . .
this is how we did it.
***
you will need:
wire - 2 kinds; 16ish gauge and 30ish gauge
wire cutters and needle nose pliers
whatever you want to put in the middle
***
first, cut a length of the ticker wire. this will vary depending on how large you want your ornament to be. i used about a foot and a half. you can always trim the excess.



***
second, make a loop approximately 1-2 inches from the end, and then begin bending the wire into the shape you've chosen. i suggest you use something as a pattern. i used a wooden star i had handy. go slowly! after you bend the wire, there is a kink that is almost impossible to get out.

***
once you get your entire shape done, clip any excess wire. you can either make the ends meet exactly, or overlap.

***
now take the smaller wire and wrap the entire shape. i like to start where the two ends come together.

***
next, pick the pieces you are going to use inside your ornament.


***
start at one point, place the glass/china/whatever and begin wrapping with the smaller wire to secure the shards. as one piece becomes secure, move to the next point, working your way to the center.
***
once you get everything into place, clip your wire and make sure it's tucked in so nothing unravels. take a piece of the larger wire and make a little hook for the top.
this is my finished ornament:
***
we had enough broken china that we made ornaments for my mom, my aunt becky, myself, my sister, and my cousins tara and mindy. so instead of it being a complete loss, now we all have a little memento to remember her by.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

LOVE this idea - thanks ashlee!

michelle's 10 things said...

I love your heirloom ornaments. You did a great job on your tutorial. Your stars are cute, too. Thank-you.

Louis said...

Yeah!! You made one for me?? I am soso excited! You guys are so talented and crafty!