Monday, November 22, 2010

a lack of "10 things" explanation and some things that made me happy

so i've been absent for awhile.

apologies.

i shall explain. i think i've been stressed. i say "think" because i don't walk around feeling stressed everyday. but at the same time, i do have a lot going on. (don't we all?) and over the last few months i've developed a form of eczema on my hands and feet. very bizarre. most members of my family have had/do have eczema of some sort, but i never did. and now, all of the sudden, it's shown up. small blister-type things on my palms and the bottom of my feet, which itch like crazy then crack and peel. i looked it up to see what i should do and it said that it can be stress induced.

then, i had a bout of insomnia, which is usually stress related to me. so i thought, hmmmmm, self, maybe you are stressed, you're just not noticing it in the normal ways (feeling anxious, etc.).

so i decided to chill.

and the blog went on the back burner.

in eat, pray, love elizabeth gilbert said "the search for contentment is, therefore, not merely a self-preserving and self-benefiting act, but also a generous gift to the world. clearing out all your misery gets you out of the way. you cease being an obstacle, not only to yourself but to anyone else. only then are you free to serve and enjoy other people."

i loved that quote because most of my greatest joy in life comes from serving and helping others. so i have to make sure that i'm keeping myself in a condition to do that. so i've done some crafts, baked some stuff, watched some stuff and generally slacked on the school work. the result is that the eczema seems to be clearing up a bit and my sleeping pattern has normalized.

and so i'm back.

but i haven't been totally slacking on my happinesses. here are a few highlights from the past three(ish) weeks.

1. mostly i hate church music. it's just not my thing. on sundays i generally listen to classical music or gospel/bluegrassy music with religious messages. but natalie hill posted about the lower lights, so i checked it out and oh boy do i love it. ye elders of israel gave me chills the first time i heard it (and still does). i wish i were in a choir that sang like this.

2. hour and a half hot stone massage. brilliant.

3. i made this cake. it's dee-licious. definitely a permanent fixture in my recipe book now.

4. i made coq au vin. it was a culinary adventure and it turned out pretty good. i'm feeling much more adventurous in the kitchen recently. next, i'm going to try a red wide reduction for steaks.

5. in primary we've been teaching about doing secret acts of service and being grateful. i've since received three drawings and one card from the kids. adorable.

6. spectacular thunderstorm sunday morning with hail.

7. harry potter and the deathly hollows, part 1. amazing and terrifying. i can't lie. i covered my eyes at one point. i can't wait for the second one.

8. pintrest. i'm collecting.

9. quotidian. definition: common; occurring everyday. use it in a sentence today.

10. i pulled out a book that i haven't picked up for, probably, a year. when i opened it a $20 fell out. that's what i used as my bookmark. a $20. i laughed and put it back.

11. it is down right chilly outside, folks. i am one happy girl. sweaters are on. blankets are piling high. i'm even looking into an electric blanket. joy.

12. my niece will be here in two weeks, people. two weeks. i am electric with anticipation.

13. i have finally come up with the game we'll be playing at our primary board christmas party. it's goooood.

*******

in other (not so good news), my brother (whitney) is going in for surgery today. he's developed 10ish tumors throughout his lymph system and they're taking one out today to perform a biopsy. his white blood cell count isn't elevated and one of the larger tumors changed shape after they put him on a high dose of antibiotics, so they're not sure if it's cancer or some weird bacterial thing. i'll try and keep you all posted. if you could keep him in your prayers, it would be appreciated.

3 comments:

Jessica Havican said...

Glad to see you've been trying to detox the stress out of your life. I love the book Eat, Pray, Love. So many things that spoke to me in that book. I hope your eczema gets better. I will keep your brother in my prayers. My mom had lymphnode cancer so i understand how you are feeling. She had two surgeries to remove the tumors from the lymph nodes in her throat and went through radiation and she's doing just fine if that gives you any hope.

Love ya!

SunshineGrrl said...

What the junk?! Hi, your dad was here not even 2 weeks ago and we didn't hear any of this. Talk much?

Heidi said...

I'm glad you're back!